I have sampled three different treatments – Reiki, Indian Head Massage and Full Body Massage. All of these were professionally administered in a clean environment with a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. The treatments were wonderful and I was stress – free and totally relaxed. Will I continue with treatments? – Most certainly. ~ John Stidson, Plymouth
What is Holistic Health and How Can it Help You?
Holistic Health Therapies are gentle and natural ways to ease stress, support emotional and physical illness and help to improve overall health and well – being and quality of life.
Holistic Health Therapies treat the whole person integrating mind, body and spirit. They work under the principle that in order for healing to take place the mind, body and spirit must be treated together as a (w)hole rather than just treating a specific symptom, illness or injury.
It is the belief of the Holistic Health Therapist that emotional and physical symptoms, illness or injury are usually the cause of discord between the mind, body and spirit. If these three areas are not in harmony with each other it can affect the whole person and not just one area of the mind or body.
Holistic Health is very much a way of life, with the holistic philosophy embracing an approach that promotes overall spiritual, emotional and physical well – being.
An Holistic Therapist may use more than one therapy to treat a patient. For example, when a person suffering from migraine headaches visits an Holistic Therapist, the therapist will look at all the potential factors that may be causing the headaches, such as other health problems, diet and sleep habits, stress, personal problems, and preferred spiritual practices. The treatment plan may involve a course of one or more therapies over a few weeks along with lifestyle changes and probably a recommended visit to your G.P to rule out any underlying health problems.
The Principles of Holistic Health
Holistic Health is based on the belief that unconditional love and support is the most powerful healer and a person is ultimately responsible for his or her own health and well-being. Other principles of holistic medicine include the following:
- All people have innate healing powers.
- The patient is a person, not a disease.
- Healing takes a team approach involving the patient and therapist, and addresses all aspects of a person’s life using a variety of practices.
- Treatment involves finding and healing the cause of the condition, not just relieving the symptoms.
Holistic Health: Types of Treatments
Holistic Health practitioners use different treatments and techniques to help their patients take responsibility for their own well-being and achieve better health and well – being. Depending on the practitioner’s training, these may include:
- Education on lifestyle changes and self-care to promote wellness. This may include diet, exercise, psychotherapy, relationship and spiritual counseling and more
- Therapies such as Aromatherapy, Chiropractic, Reflexology, Massage Therapy and many others
- Flag posting for conventional medical treatment.
The Benefits of Holistic Health
Holistic Health Therapies have many benefits;
- They focus on the person’s whole being – physical, emotional, mental and spiritual wellness.
- Holistic Health Therapies focus on the lifestyle of the person and identifies the areas which may cause negative effects to the person’s health.
- Holistic Health Therapies focus on the root cause of the problem and aims to eliminate the disease by encouraging the person to strive for wholeness.
- Holistic Health Therapies can help speed up recovery from illness and disease and help reduce pain faster.
- Holistic Health Therapies can improve overall health and well being and relieve stress and the risk of stress related illness.